Re: Rebooting and HDD spinup / spindown cycles [WAS: Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1]

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 17:56 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> Do you have reason to believe this, or a source, or are you just
> expressing your opinion, unshackled by facts and data?
>
> Quite likely not, but who said that that will be due to excessive
> spinups / spindowns?

It's the kind of breakage, the click click click noise, which is the
most common death, then heads often only can be released, if you use a
hammer or similar and hit the drive.

The rest is the math I've written

> >    5 reboots a day      =    10 cycles
> >   10 cycles * 365 days  =  3650 cycles
> > 3650 cycles *  10 years = 36500 cycles

Isn't that plausible? I'm the source, I care for facts, not for claims
from vendors.

Regards,
Ralf