Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On 20/10/13 01:38 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2013-10-20 at 12:58 -0400, Sureyya Sahin wrote:
I can't understand how to use equivs facility. How can I build a dummy
gvfs package using equivs?

$ equivs-control gvfs

Then edit the generated file with an editor, I guess you only have to
edit the following.

Package: gvfs
Version: 2013-1dummy
Architecture: all

Keep what was generated for Section, Priority and Standards-Version.
IIRC you can or you have to remove what's unneeded, e.g. Recommends,
perhaps you can keep it as it was generated.

After editing run.

$ equivs-build gvfs

And after that install the dummy package with.

$ sudo dpkg -i gvfs*.deb

I'm not booted to Debian or Ubuntu, so I can't check what to do right
now.

If you don't need one of the removed packages, then you don't need a
dummy package, you only need it to install a package that depends to
gvfs. I anyway would replace Brasero with K3b.

OK, based on your guidance, I build the package, installed and rebooted back to my desktop.

I may need some of the packages like hamster, but I definitely don't need Brasero. It came with the default Debian Wheezy XFCE installation and I never use it. I am guessing it was a (strange) dependency for quod-libet.

This brings my other complaint for Debian Wheezy XFCE edition; after the default install I had packages which had similar tasks, e.g. xfburn and brasero. I tried to remove xfburn but it asked me to remove xfce-goodies. Then, I tried to remove Brasero, which asked me to remove quod libet. So, I decided to live with both of them.

Given that Debian Wheezy XFCE brings some seemingly unncessary extra packages, I have the impression that Debian treats XFCE as a second class desktop, giving the priority to Gnome. This is another reason for me to think that Debian applies double standard to XFCE.

There are some packages like hamster and qalculate-gtk that I use from time to time. I may actually try to compile them from sources if I can.

S. Sahin