Rebooting and HDD spinup / spindown cycles [WAS: Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1]

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:54:57 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-10-20 at 18:44 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 20:15:06 +0200
> > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> > > Each time you reboot, you harm your HDDs.
> >
> > You do?
>
> Everybody does. The spin downs and spin ups are a mechanical strain.
> This is what cause the most often death of HDDs after a few years.

Not sure I buy this - my understanding is that modern HDDs are
typically rated for several 100,000 spinup / spindown cycles, so while
I suppose that it's technically true that each cycle brings the drive
closer to failure, I'm not sure that it's really reasonable to worry
about things like several hundred or so additional reboots a year.

Keyboard keys are also rated to last for some number of keypresses
(several 10,000,000) - should we warn people that every keypress harms
their keyboards? You might want to rethink the length of some of your
emails ;)

Celejar