Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 25 May 2012 19:45:47 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 25 May 2012 at 17:17:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 May 2012 19:02:36 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>>
>> > It fails on all PDFs
>>
>> That sounds very strange...
>
> But important, do you not think, because the result is consistent.

Not sure what it means, it can point to:

1/ A problem within CUPS / drivers
2/ A problem within the program he uses to print the files

However... it makes no sense that works in one computer and fails in the
other given that both share the same configuration and print the same
files to the same printer.

>> > and I run the short test by printing page 1 of the Advanced Bas
>> > h−Scripting Guide.
>>
>> Try and put here the results of:
>>
>> 1/ Converting the PDF into a PS file (still don't?) ;-)
>
> Suppose this extra conversion works: where does he go from there?
> Condemned for ever to always convert PDF to PS for every application he
> uses. :) The Flying Dutchman of Debian printing (sorry).

He should go to bugzilla, of course, where CUPS and printer experts are
and with the results of the done tests and their results, what else? ;-)

>> 2/ Also, you can try to send the PDF job directly to the printer's
>> queue ("lp -d hp2200 your_file.pdf")
>
> This is essentially no different from the command used to print from
> most desktop applications.

You don't know what are the extra options every application adds when
sends a job to the queue... we are "testing" and that's how the tests
need to be done.

>> 3/ Use a generic PCL6 driver or try even with the latest PPD file(s)
>> coming from the upstream hplip (3.12.4), i.e., "hp-
>> laserjet_2200_series.ppd" and "hp-laserjet_2200-pcl3.ppd".
>
> Not a method to be discarded. If it works it will mask the problem but
> that may be worthwhile progress for the OP. I do wonder, though, whether
> the upstream PPD files are more up-to-date or bug-free than the ones in
> Debian.

The version of the PPD files are printed in the same files. Again, trying
won't harm.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón