Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri 25 May 2012 at 16:56:51 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2012 17:22:11 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > I suggest you have a look at how CUPS works. This statement is exactly
> > the opposite of what happens when a PostScript job is submitted.
>
> How is that? Both, printer and driver, share the same language.

Not quite. The PPD file/driver combination has to produce a file which,
when sent to the printer, is understandable by the printer. The
Gutenprint driver. for example, will always send PCL to an HP2200
because, even though the printer can understand PostScript, the driver
is designed to output only in the native language of the printer.

CUPS in Debian turns any input file into PDF, apart from a PDF file, of
course. A PostScript file is filtered first by pstopdf, then by
pdftopdf. A PDF file would only be filtered by pdftopdf. If the PPD file
tells CUPS the printer wants PostScript it uses pdftops. Otherwise,
there are other filters for converting the PDF coming from pdftopdf into
the printer specific language.

> I've always understood (and that's also my own experience) is the
> opposite. Even in windows, a PS driver it takes longer to proceed with
> the job because PS uses a very descriptive and detailed language.

I wasn't concerned with speed as such but with your giving this as a
reason for saying '. . . no conversion is needed between the doc and the
printer' for a PS file.