Re: Dying Iceweasel.

On Fri, 25 May 2012 11:11:08 -0700, Peter Easthope wrote:

> On 25/05/12 09:49 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> Running testing is not a guaratee for having the latest versions of the
>> programs, you have to check by your own, for instance, Wheezy has
>> Icewasel 10.0 while Firefox is now 12 (so you can still test with
>> Firefox 12 -download and run- and see what happens) and the same can
>> happen with the flash player plugin, you can verify what version are
>> you running from
>
> OK, I should have compared the outputs from dpkg -l more thoroughly. For
> example,
> peter@dalton:~$ dpkg -l iceweasel | grep ice
> ii  iceweasel 12.0-7~bpo60+1  Web browser based on Firefox
>
> whereas,
> peter@armada:~$ dpkg -l iceweasel | grep ice
> rc  iceweasel  3.5.16-15 Web browser based on Firefox .

Are you _still_ running 3.5.x? :-O

Wow... and you wonder why it closes in some sites? Update that legacy
piece of code, sir. And don't be afraid, as I said, I'm _still_ using
Lenny (oldstable) with Firefox 12 and life goes its way, flawlessly (I
mean, Firefox seems to run smoothly with old distributions).

> Also I'd forgotten about,
> peter@dalton:~$ grep back /etc/apt/sources.list deb
> http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main deb
> http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release
>
> and there are no such entries in armada.  After these lines are added to
> armada:/etc/apt/sources.list, aptitude declines to update iceweasel
> claiming that the source is untrusted.  Months back I must have "fixed"
> aptitude configuration in dalton to allow "untrusted sources" and
> forgotten about "that little detail".  Is there a straightforward way to
> deal with this?

Instructions for using those repos are detailed here:

http://mozilla.debian.net/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón