Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

Hi,

I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages and
the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of this
morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic are
exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network printer
(HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended "HP LaserJet
2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has the same
behaviour).

Both machines print the Linux test page without problems. But one
machine cannot print PDFs while the other one prints them without
problem, be it a little slow (i.e. compared to the Windows machines that
use the same printer). The problematic machine prints a PDF file as an
almost empty pages with the following text:
"PCL CL error
    Subsystem: IMAGE
    Error:     ExtraData
    Operator:  ReadImage
    Position:  7"
I have re-installed/purged/rebooted etc. and nothing helped so far.

Does anyone recognises this problem? Which *machine-dependent* files
exist and in which directory are there, after an
installation/configuration? Anyone any ideas?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld