Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:39:01 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages and
> the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of this
> morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic are
> exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network printer
> (HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended "HP LaserJet
> 2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has the same
> behaviour).

Are you sure that's the recommended driver for your device? The printer
seems to support PS as well as PCL6 so using lj5gray can make the job
output slower and has less options available to configure :-?

> Both machines print the Linux test page without problems. But one
> machine cannot print PDFs while the other one prints them without
> problem, be it a little slow (i.e. compared to the Windows machines that
> use the same printer).

Are you testing with the same PDF file? Do other PDF files fail in the
same way?

> The problematic machine prints a PDF file as an almost empty pages with
> the following text: "PCL CL error
>     Subsystem: IMAGE
>     Error:     ExtraData
>     Operator:  ReadImage
>     Position:  7"
> I have re-installed/purged/rebooted etc. and nothing helped so far.
>
> Does anyone recognises this problem? Which *machine-dependent* files
> exist and in which directory are there, after an
> installation/configuration? Anyone any ideas?

Try to convert the PDF to a PS file (from the GNOME or KDE virtual
printer service), open the PS and print from there. Some PDF files are
badly encoded and thus more prone to make the printer to "halt".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón