Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 25 May 2012 17:05:15 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 14:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:39:01 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>>
>> > I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages
>> > and the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of
>> > this morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic
>> > are exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network
>> > printer (HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended
>> > "HP LaserJet 2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has
>> > the same behaviour).
>>
>> Are you sure that's the recommended driver for your device? The printer
>> seems to support PS as well as PCL6 so using lj5gray can make the job
>> output slower and has less options available to configure :-?

> It is the driver that the GUI says that it is the default.

GUIs can lie... I mean, they try to do their best but often they offer to
the user what they have, not what's the best.

> And I am not sure, but I seem to remember that it used to be PS that
> was the default.

A postscript printer will be happier with a postcript driver though in
linux you will experience a noticeable delay when using a PS driver for
printing complex documents.

> Anyway, with PS I have the same problem. I suspect that some machine
>-dependent file is not correct. I have compared (the size of) the files
> on both disks that are in the deb files and they seem to be the same.

Have you tried by converting the PDF file to a PS? And what happens with
a different PDF file or the error happens with *any* PDF file?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón