Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri 25 May 2012 at 15:59:55 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2012 16:45:06 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > The native language of the printer is PCL but it also has a PostScript
> > interpreter. It is happy to be given a file in either language.
>
> PostScript is a raw language, no conversion is needed between the doc and
> the printer,

I suggest you have a look at how CUPS works. This statement is exactly
the opposite of what happens when a PostScript job is submitted.

>              that's why is better  that PCL (should the printer includes
> native support for it) although I use the latter because is faster.

No. Please see above.

> > The first thing CUPS will do when it sees the PS file is convert it to
> > PDF, so I'm not sure that will tell us anything interesting. However, it
> > would be good to know whether the same difference in behaviour happens
> > with other files.
>
> I have experienced a similar problem when printing PDF files that were
> badly or poorly encoded. Converting the files to a different
> "language" (thus avoinding the source of the error) solved the problem.
> But that can happen only for specific-crafted PDF files so YMMV depending
> on the application it was used to generate the PDF files.

The OP has no problem with printing the file from one machine. It is the
other, 'identical' machine which is troubling him in a particular way.
Anecdotal evidence may not help him reach a solution.