Re: [OT] Bad characters on e-mail headers (was iceape 1.0.9 and IPv6 compatibility)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:46:12 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 10/06/11 20:46, � wrote:

(...)

>>> I'm not convinced - I don't get the problem with other Pan users,
>>> though it could be a combination of Pan and gmane.
>>
>> Yup. Maybe a combo with how Pan encodes and your MUA?
>>
>> (what puzzles me is from where it comes the ISO encoding for the
>> "From:" line. My Pan client is configured to use UTF-8 :-?)
>
> I thought I had a clue about the problem - not so sure anymore. I've put
> some screen scrapes up here:-http://ge.tt/857njz4?c because I'm not sure
> if you're seeing the same things I'm seeing. It includes a snap of an
> email search for the blackdiamondquestion character.

Wow... I look horrible 8:-)

But how about the fourth of the snapshots? It seems to display the name
just right.

>> There has to be another mailing list users with accented characters in
>> their names. Make a quick search on your MUA archive to check if
>> experience the same. I've found some :-)
>
> Visual (not quick) check shows the following (from this years posts)
> that display fine:-

(...)

Okay, then we have another clue that may help to solve the mystery. It
seems the problem presents with "iso-8859-1" but "utf-8" is fine. Now I
have to see why my posts are enconding with iso in the "From:" field
instead utf8 :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón