Re: [OT] Bad characters on e-mail headers (was iceape 1.0.9 and IPv6 compatibility)

On 10/06/11 04:10, � wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 03:16:12 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> On 10/06/11 02:01, Camaleón wrote:
>                      ^^^^^^^^
>
> Eureka! We have found the culprit!
>
> It seems to be my Pan newsreader... oh, well, another bug for it >:-)

I'm not convinced - I don't get the problem with other Pan users, though
it could be a combination of Pan and gmane.

>>> I would start thinking about Gmail's webmail.
>>
>> Pass - I'm thinking about changing email clients, just as soon as I can
>> figure out how to keep all my email, and, what's causing the encoding
>> problem.
>
> Yes, I feel your pain. It took me some time to finally get rid of Gmail's
> webmail because it was so -how to say it?- so unfriendly with some basic
> settings I'd expect for a MUA that I dropped.

It's less worse than all the others, and sub-optimal at best. I don't
have reliable internet - and I've gotten used to having a large
repository of searchable reference material. So I want to keep a local
copy of everything. And because I'm too cheap to download something twice.

I'm dreading leaving Icedove - I have close to 4GB of mail and a
complicated filter and action setup (Tonequilla)

>>> Yep, I still fail to see a clear culprit in all this mess.
>>
>> I'm starting to think I know what's happening... Your sender string is
>> different to most other posters in that the character encoding is part
>> of the From field. I don't know how or where that's happening.
>
> Pan? :-)

No. I'm convinced it's in my setting somewhere. That it only occurs with
your emails doesn't negate my being the only one to experience the issue.
I've try kmail on a Virtualbox machine if I get a chance later - if that
does the same thing I'll try changing my locale settings.

<snipped to save electrons>

> Weel, this post displayed my name okay (and this post you replied was
> written from Icedove).

<snipped>

> "Camaleón" is a nickname. My real name is Elsa (even shorter than the
> nick -and no accents on it-).

I've got no excuse, I've seen your email address often enough. Brain was
not involved.

<snipped>
>> Headers:-
>> From: =?UTF-8?B?Q2FtYWxlw7Nu?= <emailaddress> Mime-Version: 1.0
>
> Grrr! }:-)

All good(-ish). If the same email displays headers in a different mail
client I will have isolated the cause.

<snipped>

> P.S. With all this long thread, I hope you don't dream with "black
> diamonds"...

Nope - just the usual PHP error codes.
And rabbits. (I really should wash that dratted dog).

> Greetings,

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.