Re: [OT] Bad characters on e-mail headers (was iceape 1.0.9 and IPv6 compatibility)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 03:16:12 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 10/06/11 02:01, Camaleón wrote:
                     ^^^^^^^^

Eureka! We have found the culprit!

It seems to be my Pan newsreader... oh, well, another bug for it >:-)

>> I would start thinking about Gmail's webmail.
>
> Pass - I'm thinking about changing email clients, just as soon as I can
> figure out how to keep all my email, and, what's causing the encoding
> problem.

Yes, I feel your pain. It took me some time to finally get rid of Gmail's
webmail because it was so -how to say it?- so unfriendly with some basic
settings I'd expect for a MUA that I dropped.

>> Yep, I still fail to see a clear culprit in all this mess.
>
> I'm starting to think I know what's happening... Your sender string is
> different to most other posters in that the character encoding is part
> of the From field. I don't know how or where that's happening.

Pan? :-)

> The "?"s in the From field are separators. eg. ?iso-8859-1?q?Camale=F3n?
> The "ó" in your name is displayed on my system (definitely my problem)
> as a blackdiamond character - in the raw it's "=F3n" On my systems
> somehow the only part of "Camale=F3n" that stays in the Sender string is
> the "=F3n". (parsing error) My Icedove settings (I've checked on several
> machines) all display the "=F3n" as a diamond. They all use en_AU UTF-8
> as the system locale, some use the kernel keymap, others the US. I use
> rsync to keep them syncronized which would make the setting the same in
> each Icedove (I suspect).

Weel, this post displayed my name okay (and this post you replied was
written from Icedove).

>> BTW, I'm she :-)
>
> Yeah - that Lisi bloke told me. ;-p
> That means I have to type an extra letter. Damn. (actually it seemed
> like a girly name, but, I didn't want to make fun...) Now I'm hoping
> Vivian, Shelly, Jules, and Misha aren't laughing too...

"Camaleón" is a nickname. My real name is Elsa (even shorter than the
nick -and no accents on it-).

>> (note: this one is posted from Icedove)
>
> Blackdiamonds and the "=F" equivalents from earlier posts appear
> unchanged. There are no black diamonds in From strings or the body. It's
> just like all the other emails from the list! (problem solved - just use
> Icedove!)

Hit and sunk!

> Headers:-
> From: =?UTF-8?B?Q2FtYWxlw7Nu?= <emailaddress> Mime-Version: 1.0

Grrr! }:-)

> Thank you all for your input. I need some sleep, and a good think. I
> might just set up another email client in a vbm tomorrow and feed it
> with a temporary subscription. Try and isolate the possible causes.

Have a nice rest.

P.S. With all this long thread, I hope you don't dream with "black
diamonds"...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón