Re: [OT] Bad characters on e-mail headers (was iceape 1.0.9 and IPv6 compatibility)

On 10/06/11 20:46, � wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:06:18 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>>                      ^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> Eureka! We have found the culprit!
>>>
>>> It seems to be my Pan newsreader... oh, well, another bug for it >:-)
>>
>> I'm not convinced - I don't get the problem with other Pan users, though
>> it could be a combination of Pan and gmane.
>
> Yup. Maybe a combo with how Pan encodes and your MUA?
>
> (what puzzles me is from where it comes the ISO encoding for the "From:"
> line. My Pan client is configured to use UTF-8 :-?)

I thought I had a clue about the problem - not so sure anymore.
I've put some screen scrapes up here:-http://ge.tt/857njz4?c
because I'm not sure if you're seeing the same things I'm seeing.
It includes a snap of an email search for the blackdiamondquestion
character.

<snipped>

> There has to be another mailing list users with accented characters in
> their names. Make a quick search on your MUA archive to check if
> experience the same. I've found some :-)

Visual (not quick) check shows the following (from this years posts)
that display fine:-
Nuno Magalhães
Rémi Letot
Aéris
fernão lopes
François TOURDE
Géniusz együttes

Camaleón (between the 31st 10 2010 and 7th 06 2011)
see:-
http://blobs.ge.tt/857njz4/blackdiamondquestion3.png