Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On 2011-04-25, Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com> wrote:
--- SNIP ---

> On Apr 25, 2011, at 6:15 AM, Liam O'Toole wrote:

--- SNIP ---
>> Are you in a position to put a web server on the machine which offers
>> the network share? That would allow you to serve up a .jnlp file and its
>> associated JAR file in a simple, standard and platform-neutral way.
>
> Yes, I can put apache on the server without a problem.  Considering it's an embedded system and only has 500 MB and 500 Mhz, I was hoping I wouldn't need it, but I can use it.

Consider using a lightweight alternative such as thttpd.

>> I'll stop evangelising now :-)
>
> No, don't stop.  You've actually solved my problem!
>
> I know I can find this through experimentation and more research, but just in case you know off the top of your head, will the Java program being run through JNLP have a sandbox like an applet does?  (I know they're different, but will JNLP programs have a sandbox?)  And do you know if I can access $PATH (or the Windows equivalent) in the JNLP program so I could call another executable on that computer if I needed to?

Once the application is signed, and is accepted by the user, it will be
granted unrestricted access.

For accessing environment variables and calling executables, see the
java.lang.System and java.lang.Runtime classes, respectively. That
approach is frowned upon, however, because it implies writing
platform-dependent code and is not considered "pure Java". But if it
gets the job done ...

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland