Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:08:47 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> On 2011-04-24, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Java technology offers a standard way of doing that: Java Web Start.
>>> It is possible to deploy a third-party application using a JNLP
>>> file[1].
>>
>> Yes but no, that's a completely different approach (AFAIK, the
>> application has to be prepared/packaged to use it and most of the java
>> apps out there are not intended for that purpose, meaning they are not
>> going to be launched/run "online").
>
> It is simply a means of lauching an application over the network.

Most specifically over http protocol, I'd say.

> Whether the application was intended to be launched in that way is
> irrelevant.

Nope, it isn't :-)

You need some sort of xml file defining the app to launch and while java
does not (want to) understand the smb:// protocol we are stuck.

I can indeed play JNLP based java applications that are hosted online but
I cannot run the java application I want to run while is on samba share.
At least not directly ;-(

> Once the user "trusts" the application, the local JVM will
> load and run the JAR file exactly as if it had originally resided on the
> local hard drive.

Yes, but not all java applications are ready to be used with that method.
If you can tell me a sample case, I will test :-)

>>> (I have come very late to this thread, so forgive me if the above has
>>> already been mentioned.)
>>
>> I already knew that tool but I'm afraid it does not work the way I want
>> (or the way Windows clients do) ;-(
>
> The application launch should have the same behaviour on all supported
> platforms. In what way is it unsatisfactory?

JNLP based java apps yes, but again, at least that does not fit with my
app :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón