Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:02:19 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> On 2011-04-24, Camaleón wrote:
>> I have a jar file (the application is a fax client for HylaFAX) that
>> needs to be accessed/launched over the network because by doing so I
>> only have to update one file and then all the clients are automatically
>> updated.
>
> Java technology offers a standard way of doing that: Java Web Start. It
> is possible to deploy a third-party application using a JNLP file[1].

Yes but no, that's a completely different approach (AFAIK, the
application has to be prepared/packaged to use it and most of the java
apps out there are not intended for that purpose, meaning they are not
going to be launched/run "online").

> [1]
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/webstart/
deploying.html

> (I have come very late to this thread, so forgive me if the above has
> already been mentioned.)

I already knew that tool but I'm afraid it does not work the way I want
(or the way Windows clients do) ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón