Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 00:13:17 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> I still don't know if it's a security measure or just a technical
>> barrier that needs the use of another applications to be bypassed. In
>> fact, I can run a ".jar" file over "smb://" using Nautilus but this is
>> what I get:
>
> Do you mean you could run the jar or that you tried to?

It can be run, but the result is not what I expected (I don't want to
treat the file as an archiver that can be unzipped it but as runeable
program that laucnh the main java class file).

>> 1/ Jar file is executed but it opens with file roller (archiver
>> utility) 2/ When I try to change file permisson to make it executable I
>> get an error ("cannot change permissions to file.jar")
>
> Did you try to change permissions from the server itself or from the
> client?  It sounds like you tried to change permissions from the client.

Yes, from the client.

Server holding the share is a Windows XP and the perms for the volume are
the standard (they are inherited, but group "users" -to which belong the
debian user- are able to "[x] modify, [x] read and execute, [x] read and
lastly [x] write".

Over Nautilus I can see the jar file is set to "744" (rwxr--r-) and owned
by my debian user/group but when I double click on it java is not
launched, just the unarchiver utility.

>> All this done over a NTFS volume managed by a Windows host. Maybe a
>> samba share over a linux filesystem (ext3/4/reiser/xfs...) gives
>> different results... dunno :-?
>
> I think Linux might give better control over things like permissions.
> In my case, the server will be running Debian 6.x.

Now you mention... I've got a samba share on a Debian server (this is in
another network), and windows clients accessing to it. I can make some
tests here, will report back as soon as I can give any news on this :-)

> Thanks for trying that -- I'm still searching and testing, but I haven't
> gotten anything to work and I need to create a test jar file I can work
> with.

I'm also interested on this.

I have a jar file (the application is a fax client for HylaFAX) that
needs to be accessed/launched over the network because by doing so I only
have to update one file and then all the clients are automatically
updated.

In windows machines there was no problem in doing so but as you, I didn't
want to mount a samba share on the linux clients and looked for a
solution -this was a setup I've done years ago- and finally had to copy
the jar file in every linux client... but now you raised the issue again
I thought this could have been solved but it seems it isn't :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón