Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On 2011-04-24, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:02:19 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> On 2011-04-24, Camaleón wrote:
>>> I have a jar file (the application is a fax client for HylaFAX) that
>>> needs to be accessed/launched over the network because by doing so I
>>> only have to update one file and then all the clients are automatically
>>> updated.
>>
>> Java technology offers a standard way of doing that: Java Web Start. It
>> is possible to deploy a third-party application using a JNLP file[1].
>
> Yes but no, that's a completely different approach (AFAIK, the
> application has to be prepared/packaged to use it and most of the java
> apps out there are not intended for that purpose, meaning they are not
> going to be launched/run "online").

It is simply a means of lauching an application over the network.
Whether the application was intended to be launched in that way is
irrelevant. Once the user "trusts" the application, the local JVM will
load and run the JAR file exactly as if it had originally resided on the
local hard drive.

>> [1]
>> http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/webstart/
> deploying.html
>>
>> (I have come very late to this thread, so forgive me if the above has
>> already been mentioned.)
>
> I already knew that tool but I'm afraid it does not work the way I want
> (or the way Windows clients do) ;-(

The application launch should have the same behaviour on all supported
platforms. In what way is it unsatisfactory?

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland