Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On 2011-04-24, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes but no, that's a completely different approach (AFAIK, the
>>> application has to be prepared/packaged to use it and most of the java
>>> apps out there are not intended for that purpose, meaning they are not
>>> going to be launched/run "online").
>>
>> It is simply a means of lauching an application over the network.
>
> Most specifically over http protocol, I'd say.

It is most commonly used over HTTP, but other protocols are available
(see below).

>> Whether the application was intended to be launched in that way is
>> irrelevant.
>
> Nope, it isn't :-)

Oh yes it is. Try it.

> You need some sort of xml file defining the app to launch and while java
> does not (want to) understand the smb:// protocol we are stuck.
>
> I can indeed play JNLP based java applications that are hosted online but
> I cannot run the java application I want to run while is on samba share.
> At least not directly ;-(

Try using a UNC path in the JNLP descriptor, e.g.,
file:////server/share/app.jar. Windows clients will understand that.

>> Once the user "trusts" the application, the local JVM will
>> load and run the JAR file exactly as if it had originally resided on the
>> local hard drive.
>
> Yes, but not all java applications are ready to be used with that method.
> If you can tell me a sample case, I will test :-)

--- SNIP ---

I cannot provide you with a sample case to prove a negative! Instead I
invite you to download the sample .jnlp file in the link I provided
earlier and modify it to suit your LAN.

Good luck.

--
Liam O'Toole