Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:03:00 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:

(...)

> I need a way, on Linux, to access files on a network share, which could
> be SMB or NFS (or something else) without mounting the volume.  For
> example, if I'm on System A and I have an executable on System B, and
> it's on a network share on System B, is there any way to run that
> executable without mounting that share as a volume on System A?

Hum... I think it could be possible, just ensure that the file in the
share has the proper rights (that is, it should be executable by the
user).

As for java files, you could create a launcher on the desktop pointing to
the file:

java -jar smb://path/to/jar/file.jar

Greetings,

--