Re: Monitors requiring interlaced video modes with older Nvidia video cards are out of options in wheezy

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 04:34:13 -0400 (EDT), Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:57:07 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> I can't use the nouveau driver because the nouveau driver doesn't work
>> with interlaced video modes.  I filed a bug report a good while ago.  See
>>
>>    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=589452
>>
>> No response.
>
> You could try to report the bug upstream (and then tag the Debian bug
> accordingly), since this is clearly an upstream issue.
>
> Of course, ideally would be for you to write the support for interlaced
> video modes, maybe with help from other people, but I'm not sure how
> many people are interested in this.

The problem isn't that there is no support for interlaced video modes.
There IS support for interlaced video modes.  The problem is that it
DOESN'T WORK.  That's actually a good thing, because it means that the
fix is likely to be a fairly simple adjustment to existing code, rather
than writing new code to add new function.  I don't get any error messages
stating "unsupported video mode", or any such thing.  There is no indication
from looking at the logs that there is anything wrong.  I just get a black
screen.

Actually, now that I think about it, this bug report has probably been
sitting on the wrong queue all this time.  I reported the bug against
package xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, which is a user-space X driver.  But
the driver uses kernel mode setting (KMS) to set the actual video mode.
The same bug can be reproduced by using the following kernel boot parameter:

   video=VGA-1:1024x768@87i

Except that in this case the blank screen is produced on the frame-buffer
text consoles (vt1-vt6) instead of the X server console (vt7).  This tells
me that the bug is on the kernel-space side rather than the user-space
side.  If I were the maintainer, that would probably have been the first
thing I would have tried to determine.  The bug could be in the nouveau
kernel module, or perhaps in more-generic KMS code.  To determine if the
problem is nouveau-specific, I would need a non-Nvidia video card whose
driver also uses KMS.

But that brings up another issue, which is reporting bugs upstream.
The official Debian policy is "Don't report bugs upstream".  I quote from
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting:

   Don't file bugs upstream

   If you file a bug in Debian, don't send a copy to the upstream software
   maintainers yourself, as it is possible that the bug exists only in Debian.
   If necessary, the maintainer of the package will forward the bug upstream.

But if the bug is clearly in upstream code, and the maintainer is ignoring
the bug report, what else can one do?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :