Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 07:20:50PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> >>     Yup.  Because look at the time; that was how things were written.  The
> >> concepts we have now did not exist then.  But if you look further in their
> >> papers you'll see they were more Deists (God exists but does not partake in
> >> this world) than the Theists of Christians today (God exists and takes an
> >> active, personal role in our lives).
>
> > Care to provide some citations?
>
>     I did, I gave you the search.

Right.  I did the search for "founding fathers christian" and found that
70% of the top hits are in support of that view point.  You also said
that the founding fathers wrote against Christianity, yet cannot provide
a link to a single essay or paper to support that.

> > Well, they clearly weren't founding a secular state, or they would not
> > have mentioned a creator.  The point is that they recognized that human
> > rights came from something greater than humans.  That greater thing is
> > God.
>
>     That's because at the time there really was no widespread concept that the
> world could be anything but created!  Do you understand how shocking a concept
> it was that a state did not endorse any religion was at the time?

Yes.  It was quite shocking since "state religions" were all the rage.
They all wanted to go somewhere where they could worship in their own
way without government interference.  That does not change the fact that
they were mostly Christians.

Regards,

-Roberto

--