Re: Recent spam increase

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 08:05:48PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > The goal is to mix mail. And yes, Mutt can't do that when dealing
> > with multiple accounts (they all appear in a separate mailbox).
>
>     Not true, mutt excels at mixing mail to the point where it is utterly
> incapable of doing so without forcing the user to go to extraordinary lengths
> to keep their mail untangled.  Hence my pointing out that modern mail clients
> can keep mail separate and cited mutt as an example of one that manifestly cannot.

Put the following indented lines into ~/.muttrc (adjusted for your
accounts).

  account-hook pop://user1@mailhost1/ 'set pop_pass=abc'
  mbox-hook user1 +mailhost1

The above will enable you to login and read your mail without prompting
for your password.  On leaving the account you will be prompted to save
read mail to the file mailhost1 (by default in the folder ~/Mail).

  account-hook pop://user2@mailhost2/ 'set pop_pass=xyz'
  mbox-hook user2 +mailhost2

Ditto for the second pop account.  If you want read mail saved without
prompting add the following:

  set move=yes

To make it easier to access your accounts (by hitting c<tab><tab> to
bring up a list) add:

  mailboxes pop://user1@mailhost1/
  mailboxes pop://user2@mailhost2/

Manifestly, mutt _can_ read pop accounts and keep the mail separate.

I'll be the first to admit that mutt is not ideal for reading pop
accounts but I've found it very useful for things like testing when
setting up pop/imap servers.  For the small amount of mail I receive
currently via pop I use fetchmail dumped into the local mailspool.

--
David Hart <debian@tonix.org>

Not a mutt zealot but simply a contented user.