Re: OT: why I don't want CCs

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:44:44AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> They have been refuted, you simply choose not to accept that.  We've
> been through this already.  You simply choose to interpret things
> completely differently.

I really don't see a valid argument for MTA/MDA/MUA on a PC-type
one-user workstation. Especially on a laptop. When MUAs support IMAP and
POP they should go the extra inch and support SMTP smarthosts.

Mozilla, Evolution, etc, only require about 30 seconds of setup. And
it's so simple anyone could pull it off. All you need is a list of:
email-address
pop or imap server
outgoing mail server (SMTP smarthost)
username
password

That's all that is needed, and you can set up as many accounts as you
want and they don't get all entangled. This versus the long and painful
road of trying to set up your own personnal mail server/processing center
just to send email.

Don't get me wrong, I'm using mutt right now. But that's in spite of the
fact that it doesn't speak SMTP, not because of it.

If the problem is that mail clients don't implement all of SMTP properly
(either because some features are useless in a client or because it is
impossible) then we need a new standard, something like SSMTP (Simple
SMTP :) or something like that and a couple of new RFCs to define how it
should work.

Bijan