Re: OT: why I don't want CCs

Bijan Soleymani said on Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 02:06:18PM -0400:
> I really don't see a valid argument for MTA/MDA/MUA on a PC-type
> one-user workstation. Especially on a laptop. When MUAs support IMAP and
> POP they should go the extra inch and support SMTP smarthosts.

I've found a local MTA on a laptop to be wonderful; I can just send mail, and
let the MTA's queuing mechanism hand off to a smarthost whenever I get
connectivity.  Saves time on slow/poor connections.

> If the problem is that mail clients don't implement all of SMTP properly
> (either because some features are useless in a client or because it is
> impossible) then we need a new standard, something like SSMTP (Simple
> SMTP :) or something like that and a couple of new RFCs to define how it
> should work.

Already done.  See RFC 2476.  What's great about this is it's just SMTP on a
different port; this allows the mail admin to have different policies for
clients connecting to the submission port than for other servers (who connect
to the SMTP port), but doesn't require any code changes on the part of the
clients.

sendmail has supported submission since 8.11 or so... not sure about other
MTA's, but it's trivial to configure postfix to support it as well; I'm sure
exim can play, too.