Re: OT: why I don't want CCs

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:19:20 +0200
Joerg Johannes <liste_joerg@gmx.de> wrote:
> I tried that, but I hate vim being the default editor, setting it to
> xemacs caused problems in my xterm. Furthermore I use pop/smtp to
> get/sen my emails via a freemail provider, and I did not want to mess
> around with exim & co. to send mail. Kmail does this all ok for me. I
> guess I am lame, too.

    Not in my view.  I never understood why people have such a woody on having
an MTA on a machine that most likely doesn't need it.  The mail client is
perfectly capable, or at least should be, of talking basic SMTP to contact a
single SMTP server for "smarthost" purposes.

    The last time I had that particular discussion someone pointed out that
mail clients shouldn't speak SMTP since they would have to do queuing and dns
lookups and whatever to do with the email if an error arises?  I simply asked
what a mail client does now if an error arises from, say, the MTA not being
installed?  Clearly it is an error condition and something must be done about
it.  Why can't that same resolution to an error condition (unable to contact
MTA) differ if the method is SMTP vs. a locally run program, etc?  *shrug*