Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

If it is OK with you, I would rather not interleave my responses. I just got over some serious eye problems and find that spending too much time editing and working with the dim Debian text output on my daughter's computer, makes my eyes complain a lot. I am trying to keep the eye strain at a tolerable level. I hope you understand.

No output, means no output. It just processed the command and went to a new line with the command prompt and blinking cursor. Absolutely nothing happened. No error, no message, no nothing.

The output of "$ dpkg -l dhc* | grep ^ii" was: ii dhcp-client 2.0p15-11 DHCP client".

I have been thinking that with regards to log files and the like, where you would like me to post the contents, it might be a good idea to try to get the USB floppy drive working. That way, I could copy files and move them to my Win2k box. Likewise, if you wanted me to try using a different /etc/network/interfaces file, you could post that to me, I could copy it to the system and we could see if that helped. Or is this idea more trouble than it is worth? I made sure to implement USB mass storage support in the kernel before it was installed.

The output of "# tail /var/log/messages" was as follows:

sda: status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector0
unable to read partition table

The output of "# tail /var/log/syslog" was as follows:

named[170]: exiting (due to assertion failure)
lpd[195]: restarted
kdm[229]: server /usr/X11R6/bin/ X cannot be executed.
kdm[219]: Server unexpectedly dies. Server for display : 0 cannot be started, session disabled.

While not all of the output, the above is what looked to me to be the most serious messages. There was nothing with "eth0" or "dhcp" or "networking".

The output of "$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0" was the same as the last time:

Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:30:67:06:4F:86
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric 1

and then follows RX and TX packet values, all of which are zeroes, as they were last time as well.

The output of # pump (which installed like a dream) was:

eth0: Media Link off
eth0: Media Link off
operation failed

The result of a "winipcfg" command on one of the Win 98SE machines on my Wan/LAN provided the following result:

Windows 98 IP Configuration

0 Ethernet adapter :

   IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

   IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I haven't been able to find out how "ipconfig" output, which is used in Win2k, can be sent to a text file or copied from the command prompt. However, I can tell you that my Win2k box's IP address is 192.168.1.101. I hope the above helps.

Cheers,

Brian

sean finney wrote:

hi brian