Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:10:08PM +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
> DHCP failed. I booted the install with the command "bf24", so support
> for the built into motherboard SiS 900 Fast Ethernet driver should be
> loaded. What do I do now???

well first things first see if the networking works :)  try

$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0

to see if it has an ip address.  if you're still having issues, it may be
that you need to insert a module--so try modprobe sis900 (i believe that's
the name of the module, though you might want to double check that).

to restart your networking (and give another jab at dhcp),

# /etc/init.d/networking restart

anyway, if you installed with a 2.2 kernel, then that's probably what got installed
on your hard drive.  at this point to get a newer kernel on it, i'm not sure what
would be the easiest method.  normally i'd say apt-get, but you kind of need either
networking or the cd set to do that....

try booting into the installer with the bf24 again, and see if you can
skip all the partitioning/mkfs'ing, then mount your partitions, and then re-install
the kernel with the installer.

	sean