Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

sean finney wrote:

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:16:43PM +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
The response is "not found". Remember, I am still in the install. I

the response to what?  ifconfig?  lspci?  also, were you able to install
the kernel onto the hard disk?  if you can finish the install process
and boot off the hard disk (even if it's only a base system and you
can't install anything else yet), that's one less variable to worry about.

ctrl alt delete to what?  if you need to kill your way out of a program,
try ctrl-c

shell as per my last posting and start the install process one more time) and noticed a line with: "Interupt: 11 Base address: 0xe400", but everything else is all zeros. I hope this helps, at this point I am utterly clueless.

after you boot up from your hard drive, how about

# grep -i eth0 /var/log/dmesg

and
# grep eth0 /etc/network/interfaces

good luck...
	sean
The response of "command not found" was to the "ifconfig" command. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. Guess I was in a stream of consciousness thing ;-) OK, now I have a base install. An "lspci" brings up the SiS 900 NIC in the output. The output of "# grep -i eth0 /var/log/dmesg" was as follows:

"SIS 900 Internal MII PHY Transceiver found. at address 1
Using transceiver found. at address 1 as default.
SIS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xe400, IRQ 11, 00:30:67:06:4f:86"

By the way, thanks for the tip on the ctrl-c. I seem to not be writing the grep variables too closely first time around and then grep just churns away for hours.

The output of "# grep eth0 /etc/network/interfaces" was nothing.

Even after the base install, the "ifconfig" command returns "command not found.

Where do I go from here?

Cheers,

Brian