Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:19:25AM +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
> Giving the output is not an easy task, as the computer I am installing
> on has a USB floppy (the Celvin is a kind of iMac for the PC world) and
> hopefully will work when I get Debian installed. As the network isn't
> working either, I can't send it as a text file to another box on my

heh...

> Link encaps:Ethernet HWaddr 00:30:67:06:4F:86
> Broadcast Multicast MTU 1500 Metric:1

but you don't have an ip address.  this means your kernel see the device
and configured it, but dhcp isn't coming through.  do you have lines
in /etc/network/interfaces that say something like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

?

also, if this is on a private lan, how about statically assigning
an ip address to your card[1]?  this problem might be signs of a
completely different problem (like faulty cable or connecter or card),
or it might just be dhcp being flaky for some reason.

hth
	sean

[1] for example:
# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.99