Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:30:26AM +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
> OK, I started the install process from the beginning again, remounted
> partitions, etc. Not only did I boot the install using "bf24", but I
> also chose the long install, to make sure that I was installing a 2.4
> kernel from the Deb 3 rev. 1 full install CDs. I tried /sbin/ifconfig
> eth0 and got a lot of numbers in response that I don't really
> understand, but what seems to be more interesting, is when I did a
> "modprobe sis900", the response was "can't locate module sis900". I then
> looked under the kernel/net modules for the SiS900 driver and it is not
> listed .-(

well looking at the kernel config for SIS900 in the bf24 kernel config
on debian's ftp server:

CONFIG_SIS900=y

which means it's hard-compiled into the kernel, and you don't need
to do a modprobe.  can you give us the output of ifconfig?  you're
most interested in the "inet addr" field".  for example:

oil[~]22:59:16$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:06:5B:DC:32:B2
          inet addr:130.58.82.95  Bcast:130.58.82.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:1962609489 (1871.6 Mb)  TX bytes:341377353 (325.5 Mb)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xec80

the important thing to clean is that addr exists.  if you have that line,
that means you should be ok.  try pinging another ip address, and if that
works, try pinging a hostname like google.com

> According to a posting from Klaus Imgrund, there is a module for SiS900
> on the "testing CD", but I am unsure what "testing CD" this is and how I
> can load the module into the kernel I am installing.

or it could be that.  can you post us the output of dmesg (or better,
put it online somewhere and give us a link)?  if it really is recognized
by your kernel, there should be something mentioning it.

	sean