Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

hi brian

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:19:38PM +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
> OK, I didn't get the difference between "#" and "$". Tried again, in
> root (#), same result. Added the two lines in /etc/network/interfaces
> restarted the network and tried again. Same result - nada - zip -zilch

interfaces didn't exist?  strange...

> response. No response with /sbin/ifconfig either. Thanks for all your

what do you mean by "no response"  was there output, but just not
the address?  was there an error?

> time so far. Is there any place that we can go from here? I did a sort
> of default full install with tasksel and dselect. Got a lot of stuff I
> didn't want, but even the stuff that I do want will not do any good if I
> don't get this @£5#+* eth0 working.

right.  okay, at this point a few things posted would be very helpful.  i
know it's hard to get it to use without a network, but the following
might shed some light:

$ dpkg -l dhc* | grep ^ii

(this will tell use what kind of dhcp client you have installed, hopefully)

after you do /etc/init.d/networking restart, show us anything that looks
relevant from:

# tail /var/log/messages /var/log/syslog

(those two files are log files for various parts of the system)

$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0

namely, for the above, we're interested in the first few lines.

also, what are you running that's giving out the dhcp addresses?
do you have anyway of looking at it's logs?

okay, and if none of this works, try this:

# apt-get --reinstall install netbase ifupdown pump

(pump is a dhcp client that i think is a little less picky than
the dhclient -- i don't really like it all that much, but it works)
after doing this, try just typing "pump" in a root prompt and see if
magic happens.

also, everything else failing, istr someone said something about the
sis900 driver maybe not supporting dhcp, so we can try setting it
manually.  so when you have a chance, go to another machine and find
out its ip address, netmask, and dns information.  i know on the older
windows machines this was by running "winipcfg", but i don't know off
the top of my head what does it in XP these days.

good luck,
	sean

ps - since there are a lot of instructions and questions in here, when
you reply, please interleave your responses with the text of this mail,
like what's done at the top of this mail, to avoid as much confusion
as possible