Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

Sean Finney wrote:

but you don't have an ip address.  this means your kernel see the device
and configured it, but dhcp isn't coming through.  do you have lines
in /etc/network/interfaces that say something like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

?

also, if this is on a private lan, how about statically assigning
an ip address to your card[1]?  this problem might be signs of a
completely different problem (like faulty cable or connecter or card),
or it might just be dhcp being flaky for some reason.

hth
    sean

[1] for example:
# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.99

Brian Durant wrote:

Brian:
In order to make it easier for others to follow the conversation, particularly months from now when they're searching the archives, you might want to get in the habit of posting your replies after the material to which you're replying. What you've been doing, posting at the top of the email, is referred to as "top-posting", and is generally looked down upon.

What I'd suggest is to pop a Knoppix CD into your machine; Knoppix does a good job of autodetecting hardware. If it fails to get a DHCP address, you know there's something wrong with your hardware (broken or unsupported) or your network (cable unplugged, MAC locked out by the DHCP server, etc). If it does work, you might can get a clue as to what's going wrong by looking at how Knoppix set things up.

You might also try shelling out of the Debian installer and running "lspci" to get a look at what hardware is detected on the PCI bus, although IIRC that utility is not available in the early stages of the install routine, so this suggestion may be useless. Still, you could boot off Knoppix and then run "lspci".

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "The response is 'not found'". Is this what you seen when you type "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.99", or is it in response to something else that was suggested along the way, or what?

Kent