Re: OT: real-world programming practices

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:16:57PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:37:20PM -0400, Seneca wrote:
> | On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:26:51PM -0500, Ron wrote:
>
> | > Hey, I wonder if java can use ncurses?
>
> Do you want to write JNI code (C/C++)?  I've heard it's ugly.  Java is
> a LCD (Lowest Common Demoninator) environment.  If not every platform
> can do it, no platform is allowed to do it.

There is a class that came with the IDE used at school that does
ncurses-like stuff, but I highly doubt that it's free.

> At my previous job (last year) I worked almost solely in java using
> jdk 1.1.8.  We only officially supported jdk 1.1.8 because we used a
> library that was only officially supported on that jvm because that's
> what most browsers have/had (they're outdated too).  We just recently
> moved to jdk 1.2.2 (because the latest release of the library has done
> so).  In reality, though, I used jikes and javac (1.3) for compilation
> and jdk 1.3 for most testing.  We managed to find some bugs in the
> javac 1.1.8 compiler and found out how horrible IBM VisualAge for Java
> is (and that certain legal bytecode generated from javac causes it's
> importer to die, but jikes generates bytecode it likes from the same
> source code).

At school, we use an IDE called Ready to Program. We have two labs where
my CS class takes place, one of them is filled with too quiet new
computers (the loudest noise they make is a slight whine when accessing
the floppy drives) and the version of java there is 1.1.8. But the other
one is filled with older systems on what remains of the school's first
ethernet, and java there is 1.1.6. Not to mention that my programs also
have to work on VisualAge running java 1.1.6, but the teacher has
VisualAge running java2 and 1.1.8 (enough versions of java and compilers
yet?).

Every so often a class or two of mine would have problems with legal
source. Each time the problem would consistently happen to _one_ of the
two versions of VisualAge, never both, and the different versions of
Ready never had problems. Not only that, but it was a nightmare loading
incomplete source (think '{' without '}') with VisualAge.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com