Re: safe load average

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:11:50PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 09:55:17PM -0400, Seneca wrote:

> | > I often run between .5 and 1 on my two machines (one desktop one
> | > laptop).  One is my mail server, web server, desktop, and both are
> | > music boxes.  When I'm not doing anything the load is less.  The lower
> | > your load average the better; the less your system will be working and
> | > the better responsiveness you'll get (in addition to cooler
> | > operation).
> |
> | How bad a sign is it when a single laptop heats a 50m^3 room,
> [snipped nice description of what you don't want]
> | Any suggestions on how to cool this thing down (other than removing the
> | builtin keyboard and putting bags of ice on the heatsink (I can't afford
> | the ice or the external keyboard)). Other than a new computer or
> | upgraded hardware, I can't afford it.
>
> What services is that system running?  It sounds like you're trying to
> push the machine way too far.  How powerful is it (CPU, RAM)?

This system is my most powerful one. It's a P100 with 16M RAM and 100M
swap. (but I have my eye on a P133 with 96M RAM that is laying unused in
the basement... and the other two unused systems that mom won't let me
have (for some reason she considers my current 3 systems to be too
many))

Currently I am running X, cardmgr (this is a laptop after all), getmail,
exim, netscape (I would prefer not to, but I need javascript and java
support to connect to the proxy, and mozilla is massive), dictd, cron,
and lpd. The stuff that I am using is mutt, vim, lynx, garlic, xcircuit,
gnuplot, and sometimes playmidi. (not counting countless compiles of
homework for computer science, a class where the teacher gives bonus
marks for "features" such as confirmation messages, and GUI messes)

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com