OT: real-world programming practices

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 16:25, Seneca wrote:
[snip]
> > P.S. - Confirmation messages are not a "feature"!
>
> They are when they meet the teacher's specifications: written in java,
> use AWT, are a class, and use buttons, frames, and the appropriate
> listeners. Each time one comes up in my testing of my programs, there is
> about two minutes of swapping. Give me a command line anyday.

You're right that GUI has such an excess overhead, but confirmation
messages, in and of themselves, are not GUI-only.

Hey, I wonder if java can use ncurses?  Oh, well, there goes AWT...
Sure is faster, though.
Why do you have to use AWT, when swing has been out for years?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |