Re: safe load average

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 14:33, Seneca wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:11:50PM -0500, dman wrote:
[snip]
> > What services is that system running?  It sounds like you're trying to
> > push the machine way too far.  How powerful is it (CPU, RAM)?
>
> This system is my most powerful one. It's a P100 with 16M RAM and 100M
> swap. (but I have my eye on a P133 with 96M RAM that is laying unused in
> the basement... and the other two unused systems that mom won't let me
> have (for some reason she considers my current 3 systems to be too
> many))
>
> Currently I am running X, cardmgr (this is a laptop after all), getmail,
> exim, netscape (I would prefer not to, but I need javascript and java
> support to connect to the proxy, and mozilla is massive), dictd, cron,
> and lpd. The stuff that I am using is mutt, vim, lynx, garlic, xcircuit,
> gnuplot, and sometimes playmidi. (not counting countless compiles of
> homework for computer science, a class where the teacher gives bonus
> marks for "features" such as confirmation messages, and GUI messes)

Jiminy Crickets!  No matter what GUI you use, that box isn't built
for graphics.  Still, hope you are using X3.3.6 + xfce.

Do you need dictd, lpd, getmail and exim running all the time?  Save
some RAM/swap by manually running them only when needed.  Yes, that's
a pain, but sacrifices must be made when resource-constrained.
Vim is pretty darned big.  How about elvis?  Also, do you work off-
line at all?  How about stopping cardmgr when off-line?  Is pine
smaller than mutt?

On Sunday, cook your mother a nice dinner, and give her a sappy card.
THEN ask for the P133!

P.S. - Confirmation messages are not a "feature"!

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |