safe load average

After the sound of my system thrashing being a better alarmclock than
the conventional variety, I started checking my system's load average
(among other things) periodically. From what I saw in uptime, my average
load average tends to range from 1.0 to 3.0, with occasional spikes up
to 6.75 (which I doubt is healthy for this P100), and a minimum of about
0.5.

I know that uptime(1) says that "Load averages that are consistently
high (that is, all three number reported by uptime are higher than 1)
indicate an overtaxed system." (I just noticed a typo in the manpage).
And I know that 1 is the "maximum processor performance on a single
processor system.".

The thing is, is that this system is a single processor system, and I
think it has a slight temperature problem. As it is, this system is a
laptop with the heatsink directly below the keyboard (so using ice or
or adding fans would be somewhat inconvenient), and by how hot my
PCMCIA cards are when I remove them, I half expect "CPU0 on fire" to
come up. The maximum operating temperature listed in my manual is 35C
(internal or external, I'm not sure which, but I'm hoping external),
while the cards feel like they're at least 45.

So, something I was wondering about would generally be considered a
maximum "safe" load average. I have had some problems with some hardware
that look almost as if this machine wants to become a toaster (hopefully
the hardware wasn't damaged, only confused, by the heat).

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com