Re: safe load average

On  0, Seneca <seneca-cunningham@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:11:23PM -0500, dman wrote:
> > | > |

> > | Currently just 1.1 (what's at school), although the teacher uses java2
> > | for all the sample programs, and is planning to change the school over
> > | soon. The entire course is java (a few years ago the course was c++, but
> > | then the teacher discovered java).
> > |
> > | kaffe is a virtual machine, and gcj does not support inner classes. I
> > | can't use gcj because I use inner classes and other extensions. I can't
> > | use kaffe because I need more than a virtual machine.
> >
> > I know gcj is (or has been) behind, but I just tested the inner class
> > thing with gcj 3.0.4 (package gcj-3.0) and it worked.
>
> I didn't see gcj-3.0, I only noticed gcj.
>
> > What more do you need besides a JVM that kaffe doesn't provide?
> > Supposedly it has a compiler too ('kjc'), but it isn't working on my
> > machine.  Actually, for compilation use jikes.  It's written in C++
> > and is way sleeker than javac (faster, lighter weight, better error
> > messages).
>
> I took a look at jikes, it seems interesting. I think I'll try it. I
> hope it reacts properly to the source, unlike IBM VisualAge, which
> consistently messed up on a certain subclass to Window that I wrote.

I have used jikes on several large projects before.  It has never
generated bad code for me, and has always cut the compile time to a
small fraction of that using javac.  It is definitely a Good Thing.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au