Re: safe load average

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:15:36PM -0400, Seneca Cunningham wrote:

| So, something I was wondering about would generally be considered a
| maximum "safe" load average.

I often run between .5 and 1 on my two machines (one desktop one
laptop).  One is my mail server, web server, desktop, and both are
music boxes.  When I'm not doing anything the load is less.  The lower
your load average the better; the less your system will be working and
the better responsiveness you'll get (in addition to cooler
operation).

I once managed a load average of 30.  I didn't have any load-limiting
options set in exim, and I flush a batch of around 900 messages
through it.  (this was when I let the mail sit on the school's server
because my system was down due to moving, etc)  I had no UI
responsiveness (X, and I couldn't switch to console) and SA's
processing time averaged around 30 or so seconds (usually 0-3 seconds)
per message.

-D

--

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Philippians 4:13