Re: x-terminal-emulator & xterm

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 11:00:14AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:

> As for taking different actions based on the command by which a program
> was called, look at the fsck family, bzless and bzmore, mh's show, next,
> and prev, and a lot of other things that show up in find / -type f |
> -links 1 =). Oh, and this case we were just looking at, about xterm
> changing the resources it loads based on the name by which it was
> called. My point is, though it may be considered bad practice, because
> it violates the principle of least surprise (e.g. when a symlink doesn't
> work as expected), but it's out there, and it's being used, so don't be
> /too/ surprised when you get bitten by it.
>
> good times,
> Vineet

Hmmm... bzless and bzmore are shell scripts, which makes perfect sense
in that they do more than bzip2.

I am still not certain how this applies to my original question.

Even if an executable can tell whether or not it is being called by a
symlink, why should the xterm binary be coded to disregard the
~/.Xresources file?

How does that help?

Thanks,
Andy