Re: Printing problems

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:11:51AM -0800, Jeff wrote:
> Rob Mahurin, 2002-Jan-16 08:40 -0500:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:38:04AM -0800, Jeff wrote:
> > > Error: /invalidfont in findfont
> > > 		       Operand stack:
> > > 	                       --nostringval--
> > > 				       basefontdict
> > >
> > > So, I believe I have a font issue now.  If you have some ideas on
> > > this, I'd really appreciate them.  I'm pretty lost...still.
[..]
> > I'm having this same problem (with an operand stack of
> > 				F0  Times-Roman  Font  Times-
> >
> > after an upgrade this weekend from stable to testing.  It seems to
> > happen only from Netscape.
[..]
> I'm still fighting with it.  It happens printing from any
> application for me.
>
> Are you using lprng?  magicfilter?  What's an application that
> works and what is it's print command?
>
> Sorry to bombard you with questions...I appreciate you help.

No problem ... I offered.  You guessed my setup: lprng with
magicfilter.  All the programs I use just call lp.  Here's a dpkg -l
on lprng, magicfilter, gs, and all of their Depends: and Suggests: (I
think)

ii  lprng          3.8.2-1        lpr/lpd printer spooling system
ii  debconf        1.0.22         Debian configuration management system
ii  libc6          2.2.4-7        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  magicfilter    1.2-49         automatic printer filter.
ii  gs             6.51-5         The Ghostscript Postscript interpreter
un  enscript       <none>         (no description available)
ii  bzip2          1.0.1-14       A high-quality block-sorting file compressor
ii  gzip           1.3.2-3        The GNU compression utility.
ii  xpdf           0.93-4         Portable Document Format viewer for X11
ii  libpaperg      1.1.2          Library for handling paper characteristics
ii  libgimpprint1  4.1.99-b1-1    library necessary to use gimp-print programs
ii  libpng2        1.0.12-3       PNG library - runtime
ii  xlibs          4.1.0-11       X Window System client libraries
ii  zlib1g         1.1.3-18       compression library - runtime
ii  gs-common      0.3.1          Common files for different Ghostscript relea
ii  gsfonts        6.0-2          Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  psfontmgr      0.10.1         PostScript font manager -- part of Defoma, D
ii  gs-pdfencrypt  1.0.4-6        Provides support to view encrypted PDFs with

After installing enscript and upgrading ghostview and gs-common,
printing from netscape works:

ii  ghostview      1.5-27         a PostScript viewer for X11
ii  gs-common      0.3.2          Common files for different Ghostscript relea
ii  enscript       1.6.2-4        Converts ASCII text to Postscript, HTML, RTF

Before I believe the problem was with converting html to postscript;
html2ps produced output that crashed gv, that sort of thing.  I was
able to print plain text and .pdfs (produced by pdflatex, the one that
worked yesterday is at
http://web.utk.edu/~rmahurin/skool/syllabus.pdf) at least; I'm not
sure what else I tested.  I'm going to blame gs-common, since that was
the only real dependency involved.

Hope that helps.  Let me know if I can test anything else for you.

Rob

--
Write yourself a threatening letter and pen a defiant reply.