Re: Printing problems

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 10:24:57PM -0800, Jeff wrote:
> Adam Majer, 2002-Jan-11 19:24 -0600:
> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 04:08:44PM -0800, Jeff wrote:
> >
> > > and the printer prints, but not the text.  The output has words
> > > that look like the filter or enscript calls, e.g.
> > > '%%BoundingBox...' and '/.notdef' and '%!PS-Adobe-3.0....'
> >
> > These are post script things. Your printer doesn't understand these.
> > It should be using gs from the filter..
> >
> > Check if you gave a correct pointer in your printcap file.. That's
> > used by lpr. From the output it looks like the filter is never called.
>
> Okay, I checked in /etc/lprng and found a link to /etc/printcap.
> The link is good, and the default path to printcat for lprng is
> to this link.
>
> With my fiddling, I think I made it worse.  Now when I try to
> print, the job show in error in the queue (lpq) and the printer
> prints "Unknown device: pc13" and thats it.

Don't know. But I have /etc/printcap set like this:

lp|ps|PS|PostScript|djps:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\
        :sh:

sd - the location of spool directory
if - input filter
lp - printer device

and /var/spool/lpd/lp/postscript/filter is symlinked to /etc/magicfilter/dj500

Try setup like that except you link to your printer.. Then try lpr with a PostScript
file. Or print map page for something, eg. file

man -t file | lpr