Re: Printing problems

Adam Majer, 2002-Jan-12 02:46 -0600:

> Don't know. But I have /etc/printcap set like this:
>
> lp|ps|PS|PostScript|djps:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :pl#66:\
>         :pw#80:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\
>         :sh:
>

> sd - the location of spool directory
> if - input filter
> lp - printer device
>
> and /var/spool/lpd/lp/postscript/filter is symlinked to /etc/magicfilter/dj500
>

> Try setup like that except you link to your printer.. Then try lpr with a PostScript
> file. Or print map page for something, eg. file
>
> man -t file | lpr

Thanks for the suggestion, it didn't work.  I'm still getting the
unknown device: pc13 error.  I feel like I'm moving backwards on
this!

I put the symlink in /var/spool/lpd/lp as filter pointing to
/etc/magicfilter/dj... and changed the lp line in your printcap
to match up to my printer.  I tried your printcap as is first,
then changed the lp line, but no luck.

man -t ... didn't work, it got

[212] $ man -t file
/usr/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
/usr/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ps'
man: command exited with status 768: /usr/bin/zsoelim
/tmp/zman9jrbHR | /usr/bin/groff -mandoc

I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, just don't know what.

thanks for you help.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer