Re: Tone policing by a member of the community team [Was, Re: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board]

I broadly agree with your framing of this, Sam, with one particular point of
disagreement.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 01:17:30PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> 2) If your statements (even outside of Debian) commit you to a path that
> denies dignity, it's entirely reasonable for us to talk to you about
> whether you'll be able to act in accordance with the CoC and diversity
> statement.
> Please convince us that you will be able to treat everyone in Debian
> with dignity consistent with how we view dignity; convince us that your
> actions in Debian will create a welcoming community and treat all our
> members with respect.
> If you can answer that question,  then we should hold you to that
> answer.  If your answer is good, I don't think statements outside of
> Debian should get in the way of your participation beyond raising the
> discussion of how you will meet our community standards within Debian.
> I do think if you affiliate yourself with an extreme ideology in your
> statements outside Debian, it's reasonable for us to be highly skeptical
> and to ask you to show us how it's going to work.

> I understand some people in the project disagree with me and would like
> to kick people out for their statements outside of Debian.
> That's just further than I can go right now.

If one has made statements outside of Debian demonstrating that they hold to
an ideology that denies the dignity of other members of the project, unless
those statements have been *recanted*, the existence of those statements has
a chilling effect on working with others within the project *per se*.  It is
not enough to ask that someone *pretend* to respect other members of the
project while working within the project, if their outside behavior shows
that they don't actually respect those other members of the project.

If a member of the Debian Project were known to have sexually assaulted
someone, this would be a concern for Debian being a safe environment.  It
wouldn't matter that the assault happened outside the context of Debian
work, or that this individual had no opportunity to assault people inside of
Debian.

The same applies to other, "lesser" behaviors that invalidate the innate
dignity of other members of the project.  A committment to keep one's mouth
shut in a Debian context doesn't remove awareness of the broader context.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/