Re: Tone policing by a member of the community team [Was, Re: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board]

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 02:56:34PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Not true, if someone identifies with fascist doctrine, even if they keep
> those views off of the project channels, then they are not welcome here,
> no matter where they engaged in those kind of activities.

Would you care to put that to a vote?  I think you'll lose -- and if
you win, you'll fracture the Project.

I say it with all respect, Jonathan, as someone who admires you and
judges you to have been a tactful, prudent, competent, energetic,
effective Leader; but politicization of Debian has gone far enough.  We
are not going to bar persons who identify with fascist doctrine or any
other doctrine from the Project if I have anything to say about it.

Someone might reply by citing the Code of Conduct
and Diversity Statement, but such citations do not impress me.  The Code
and Statement were adopted to smooth the Project's work, not to menace
political undesirables, nor to empower the easily offended.  In my
strong opinion, Diversity includes everyone, even, especially fascists.
And do you know what?  The text of the Diversity Statement agrees with
me, unless one were determined to twist its adverb "constructively" to
authorize mischievous *deconstruction* of the Project along
ideological lines.

For all I know, a handful of Members might be determined to do just
that.  I hope not.  If so, though, then I'll warrant that the
deconstructors are in the minority, and a small minority at that.  Given
an up-or-down vote, they would lose.

Meanwhile, regarding the GR, I have no comment except that I have cast
my vote, same as everyone else.  However, your statement as quoted above
cannot be supported.

The time for the tail to wag the dog is over.  It's time to get back to
the open source.