Re: d-i on a second hard drive in a G5

Pedro Sanchez wrote:

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 20:00 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:42:45AM -0500, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:10 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 02:39:48PM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:13:17AM -0500, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
4. /target/etc/yaboot.config (as installed by the d-i):

boot=/dev/sdb2
device=/k2-sata@0/disk@0:
This last line seems odd. My G5 has only one disk and has a very
similar line for device. That makes me think that it isn't getting
the right OF path for /dev/sdb2. I would have expected the second
drive to be on the second sata channel. Without having a second
device on sata on my G5, I can't really test, but it seems worth
investigating for someone who knows the installer better.
The installer uses ofpath to translate from device nodes to open
firmware paths. Pedro: Can you run the following commands in Linux:

ofpath /dev/sda
ofpath /dev/sdb

Here's what I get:

#ofpath /dev/sda
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:

#ofpath /dev/sdb
/k2-sata@0/disk@0:
This look strange to me. Is /k2-sata@0/disk@0: a valid OF path on your
system? Comparing it to the first path it seems to miss some components.

To run these commands I boot from the CD and get all the partitions
mounted. Then I exit to a shell from the main installer menu. Therefore,
could it be that because all these partitions on the second drive are
mounted at that point, the ofpath command simply returns an abbreviated
version of the full path?
So indeed it seems that ofpath has decided that both sata drives are
"sata@0" :|

I manually edited the yaboot config file to have

 device=/k2-sata@1/disk@0:

and then I run the command
 chroot /target
 ybin --config /etc/yaboot.conf -b /dev/sdb2
These options to ybin shouldn't be neccessary, but I don't think that
this will solve your problem. Does the path /k2-sata@1/disk@0: exist on
your system or is this just a guess?

I went to the openfirmware boot and listed the devices (dev /, ls). This
is the hierarchy that I see (just the sata-relevant lines):

/ht@0,f2000000
 /pci@5
   /k2-sata-root@c
     /k2-sata@0
       /disk@0
     /k2-sata@1
       /disk@0

I put the full path in the device=xxx section of yaboot config, run ybin
again, rebooted, and nothing new happens. Still in the same loop between
the graphical and text boot menus.

Any other ideas?

--
Pedro

Gaudenz

Pedro,

I also have Debian installed on a second hard disk. I get the following

#ofpath /dev/sda
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:

#ofpath /dev/sdb
/k2-sata@0/disk@0: