Re: d-i fails on new PowerMac G5

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 22:17 +0100, Moritz Armingeon wrote:
> On 14:48 Tue 01 Feb     , Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> > I found in
> > http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.powerpc/ch07s01.html#id2537092
> > that I can press the "options" key to get a graphical boot menu. I do
> > get it, and I see two icons, one for OS X and another for Linux. I click
> > on the second one (or use the tab key), and then click a right arrow
> > which I interpret as "continue."
> Hey, now that is a cool feature! Thanks for pointing this out! Unfortunately,
> that doesn't get you any further...
>
> > However, instead of booting Linux I get a text menu that says something
> > like
> >
> > Press I for GNU/Linux
> >       x for OSX
> >       c for CDROM
> >
> > Stage 1 boot:
> >
> > But the keyboard seems dead at this point. I tried "I", "i", "1", and
> > neither works. This text menu only lasts a few seconds and then it puts
> > me back into the graphical boot menu :|
> It would be "l" (Small "L").

Small "l" puts me back into the graphical boot menu :(
Small "x" boots OS X OK!

By having this text menu I assume I am in fact running the yaboot that
the d-i put in the hard drive. My guess is that the d-i didn't do a good
job and yaboot is not configured properly to boot Debian.

Just to recap, OS X lives in the first hard drive (SATA) sdb1. Debian
was installed in the second hard drive (SATA) sdb2, with yaboot in the
second partition. I think I will read about this openfirmware thing to
figure out how to tell it to boot sdb2:2 directly (would this make
sense?).

> > Just to test, if a select the first icon, OS X, and then click the right
> > arrow, I get a blank screen ... nothing else. I doesn't boot OS X.
> That works for me...
>
> I would try the Gentoo install CD[1]. Boot from it, chroot into your setup and
> start experimenting with the bootstrap partition with mkofboot und ybin. This
> is pretty good documented in the Gentoo Handbook[2]
>
> Or, what is probably smarter, wait for someone with a more concrete idea of
> what is going wrong...

Thanks, it's certainly an option. But I want to believe that this Debian
list can get me out of this hole. I'll give a try first.