Re: d-i on a second hard drive in a G5

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 02:39:48PM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:13:17AM -0500, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> > 4. /target/etc/yaboot.config (as installed by the d-i):
> >
> > boot=/dev/sdb2
> > device=/k2-sata@0/disk@0:
>
> This last line seems odd. My G5 has only one disk and has a very
> similar line for device. That makes me think that it isn't getting
> the right OF path for /dev/sdb2. I would have expected the second
> drive to be on the second sata channel. Without having a second
> device on sata on my G5, I can't really test, but it seems worth
> investigating for someone who knows the installer better.

The installer uses ofpath to translate from device nodes to open
firmware paths. Pedro: Can you run the following commands in Linux:

ofpath /dev/sda
ofpath /dev/sdb

My guess is that ofpath does not output the correct path for your second
harddisk. You can see the whole open firmware device-tree in
/proc/device-tree or by entering open firmware and issuing

dev /
ls

If my guess is correct and ofpath does not give you the correct device
path then please file a bug on the yaboot package, which contains
ofpath.

BTW, you can directly load the second-stage yaboot from open firmware
with something like this:

boot openFirmwarePath:partition,\yaboot

If you are new to OpenFirmware you will find some usefull information on
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.powerpc/ch05s01.html
(look into the usb booting section)

Gaudenz